Friday, November 11, 2011
Things my Dad has taught me
DRIVING: My Dad gave me driving lessons on Saturdays, in the parking lot of Inland Lighthouse Church, while we waited for other people to show up for outreach (he was my ride). He taught me how to parallel park using trash cans lined up beside the planters in the parking lot. He also gave me LOTS of safety tips. Seeing as he worked for CalTrans, he helped clean up a lot of traffic accidents. Every time he came home from a really bad one, we would hear about it for a while. As in, we would be lectured for at least a week on how not to drive. So, the following is a list of reminders I still live by thanks to my Dad :)
1. Always roll to a stop, you look cooler and people won't wonder what you are up to.
2. When you are stopped, a) Make sure your doors are locked, You don't want someone getting in unexpectedly, b) Always leave about a cars length of space between you and the car in front of you, there are gangs that will box you in and attack you (this was really happening back then, and I still keep it in mind lol) and c) look around and form an emergency get away plan, just in case you need to leave in a hurry.
3. When you are driving, especially when it is raining (my dad HATED for us to drive in the rain), leave a car's length between you and the car in front of you. That way, if you have to brake quickly, you won't hit the guy.
4. Always check your car's lights and fluid levels. If something is not right, fix it now. Don't wait until later.
5. Black Ice is hard to see and very slippery, so just stay home tonight.
6. Above all, please, please,please, Do not drive like your Mother.
at 12:00 AM
|let me know|